Re: dired-warning

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: dired-warning
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:06:27 +0200

> Since this change was synced to the trunk and I see it in action now,
> I agree it was a bad idea.

The problem provoking that change was that with eight colors
`font-lock-comment-delimiter-face' usurpated `font-lock-comment-face'
leaving the latter without foreground.

> I propose to add a new face font-lock-error-face, to copy its definition
> from font-lock-warning-face, and to copy the definition of compilation-warning
> to font-lock-warning-face.  So dired-warning inheriting now from
> font-lock-warning-face will use the new definition.
>
> Making this distinction between two faces font-lock-error-face and
> font-lock-warning-face will be useful for other packages where
> error text should be displayed in the strong color, and warnings in
> more subdued color.

Would this fit into an eight colors scheme?

> PS: This proposal is for the trunk.  For Emacs-22 I think we should
> restore the old color by copying definitions of font-lock-comment-face
> and font-lock-comment-delimiter-face to dired-warning like:
>
> (defface dired-warning
>   '((((class color) (min-colors 88) (background light))
>      (:foreground "Firebrick"))
>     (((class color) (min-colors 88) (background dark))
>      (:foreground "chocolate1"))
>     (((class color) (min-colors 8) (background light))
>      :foreground "red")
>     (((class color) (min-colors 8) (background dark))
>      :foreground "red1"))
>   "Face used to highlight a part of a buffer that needs user attention."
>   :group 'dired-faces
>   :version "22.1")

dired.el face specs are based on inheriting, hence this might break some
people's customizations.