Opening a pty without a process

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Opening a pty without a process
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 08:46:48 +1200

I would like to associate a buffer with a pty without a process.  How easy
would it be able to adapt start-process to do this when given a nil value
for program name:

(start-process name buffer nil) or (start-process name buffer)

Perhaps a new function would be better because I would like it to return the
name of the pty, e.g,

(open-pty-buffer buffer)
->"/dev/pts/1"

Emacs would need then to monitor the file descriptor using select in
wait_reading_process_output (process.c).

and I would  hook this up with a process using:

M-x gdb
Run gdb (like this): gdb -tty /dev/pts/1 -i=mi myprog

(In practice it's more likely that Emacs will set a Lisp variable to the
value of (open-pty-buffer buffer) and use it behind the users back.)