Re: Is this patch of gnus/pop3.el reasonable?

From: Stainless Steel Rat
Subject: Re: Is this patch of gnus/pop3.el reasonable?
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 20:06:00 -0400

On Sep 30, 2007, at 6:38 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
Now the question is whether this is a bad idea to check into upstream.
I can't see that it will affect operation where the server is correct,
and it might avoid hangs where it isn't.

What do you think?

I think it breaks spec. POP3 responses are terminated with CRLF (\r \n). That's not an option. My dim recollection of the POP3 specs are that lone CRs or LFs are not prohibited in responses so searching for something other than the in-spec terminator could be bad.

Does such a buggy, standards-breaking POP3 server exist? If so then I think that the correct way to address it is to make the terminator a variable that can be changed on a per-user basis rather than making a global static change that could adversely affect everyone else in the world using in-spec POP servers. Otherwise leave it alone. It does what the POP3 RFCs say it should.
--