Re: bug of display-table & make-glyph-code

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: bug of display-table & make-glyph-code
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:15:52 +0200

>     > Can someone reproduce the OP's behavior with Emacs 22 ?
>
>     Neither with Emacs 22 nor the current CVS trunk.
>
> If we cannot make it fail, we can cross it off the list.
> Would you please?

The problem is related to the way we encode face numbers in
glyph codes (as an integer).

The number of bits left over in a glyph code for the face number
is vastly reduced on the unicode-2 branch, so as soon as we
merge that to the trunk, the problem will certainly be
visible on trunk.

The solution is to find some other way to merge a face with a
char-code to make a glyph code.  We have discussed this some
time ago.

One suggestion was to use a cons (CHAR . FACE_ID).

Hiding such details was the main rationale for introducting the
make-glyph-code function in 22.1