Re: callback functions in Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: callback functions in Emacs
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 02:16:29 -0400

    I'm playing a little bit with integration of D-Bus(*) into Emacs.

It isn't feasible for me to browse a web site--what is D-Bus?  Why do
we want to control it from Emacs, and do it by adding C code?

    One of the basic concepts od D-Bus is, that one could register a
    callback function which is applied when there bis a signal on the bus
    one has registered for.

By "signal" do you mean the C-level signals that are handled
by `sigaction'?

    But that looks ugly to me. Isn't there another, more simple way to
    evaluate Lisp code from inside a callback function?

What do you mean by "a callback function"?  That is not an Emacs
concept, so it doesn't specify the most relevant facts.  What exactly
is going to call this function, when?

If you're talking about C-level signal handlers, the usual way for
them to run Lisp code is by queuing input events.