Re: Make button face appear magenta on a Linux console

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Make button face appear magenta on a Linux console
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:56:04 +1200

 > >  > > Can someone who knows how this all works give the button face on a
 > >  > > Linux console a magenta foreground please? (not directly though, but
 > >  > > via the underline mechanism).
 > >  >
 > >  > This is a limitation of the linux console.  The underline and dim video
 > >  > modes cannot be used with color (see the ncv capability).
 > >
 > > I think you're saying Xterm does the work, not Emacs.
 >
 > I don't understand what work you mean.

If I do "man ls" in the xterm without underlining, words that are meant to be
displayed with an underline are displayed with a magenta foreground (likewise
bold is displayed as blue).

If a console can't do this, then presumably Emacs could by specifying the
button face as magenta.

Another possibility is to make the button face inherit from link, or info-xref
face, then, by default it gets displayed as cyan.  A long time ago I had a
patch (which I've lost now) which kept track of destinations visited in the
help buffer and used info-xref-visited for them.