Re: rcirc multiline nick adding

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: rcirc multiline nick adding
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:19:52 +0900

Nic James Ferrier <address@hidden> writes:
>> This seems dangerous; what if it's not a nick?  It seems quite likely to
>> have annoying results...
>
> Well... with me it always is a nick. And it's vital that it be put in.
>
> Sending multilines through bitlebee without it is tricky.

I don't really know the right terminology, but in rcirc there seem to be
two sorts of conversation buffers -- "private" buffers, where your
output always goes to a specific person, and "shared" buffers where you
use "user:" as a prefix to send to "user".

In the latter ("shared") buffers, it might make sense to do something
special with word-colon prefixes -- using an invalid username already
seems to get an error, at least using bitlbee -- but it doesn't really
in "private" conversation buffers, where such syntax doesn't seem to be
treated specially (though for whatever reason, nick completion still
works!).

I probably have some of the details wrong, so please correct me, but it
seems like a feature such as you propose would need to be active only in
"shared" conversation buffers.

Thanks,

-Miles

--