Re: footnote-style latin doesn't renumber

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: footnote-style latin doesn't renumber
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 10:59:08 +0200

> After opening a buffer and inserting a first footnote I
> changed via customize `footnote-style' from `numeric'
> to `english-lower.'
>
> That's the way, user will proceed with some
> probability, i.e. discovering after first footnote,
> that the style is not convenient.
>
> C-h v ...
>
> footnote-style is a variable defined in `footnote.el'.
> Its value is numeric
> Local in buffer ein.txt; global value is english-lower

> [a]
>
> [1]

This is contradictory: The local value is 'numeric and the "next
insertion" produces an 'english-lower foontnote.  Please try to
reproduce that.

> Footnotes:
> [a]
> [1]  asd
>
> IMHO that shows two errors:
>
> - style is not taken

"style was taken", otherwise it would have inserted a number.  However,
style should _not_ have been "taken" just because you customized
`footnote-style'.

> - no renumbering

It should have inserted another number with renumbering.

> Use of `Footnote-set-style' with the same buffer didn't
> work correct either
>
> [B]
> [a]
> [D]
> [1]
> [F]
> Footnotes:
> [a]
> [B]
> [D]
> [1]  asd
>
> [F]
> Once a footnote in a certain style inserted, your bound
> to it presently.

I assume you mean that you cannot change a footnote's style any more
once you have inserted it in a buffer.  That's a missing feature you
could try to implement (ATR).

> Remarkable beside here is the missing [C].

I think some matching algorithm messes up case of footnotes here.

> IMHO keeping `footnote-style' buffer-local from the
> beginning isn't the right thing.

What is "the beginning"?

> It should be a global value basicly.

It is.

> When toggling footnode-mode, than mode should check,
>
> - if buffer contains footnotes in global style, then read them in,
>  update numbering

Suppose your buffer contains text like

....... [1] ........ [1] ..........

[1] footnote text

You would have to decide which of the [1]s in the first line references
the footnote (or print a warning about ambiguous references).

> - if buffer contains footnotes in a not global style
>  then
>
>  warn
>  make recognised style buffer local

Yes.