Re: narrow-to-defun and mark-defun now work properly for CC Mode.

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: narrow-to-defun and mark-defun now work properly for CC Mode.
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:26:44 -0400

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

>>  > Please complain to me about any problems.
>>
>> Well, with that invitation!
>>
>> Fontifying C files takes too long now, so my old machine starts to hang if I
>> step through a buffer or search for a string.  xbacktrace seems to
>> consistently
>> include:

> ... probably due to disabling stealth fontification a couple of weeks ago.

No, it has nothing to do with stealth fontification.  The problem is
due to the recent change:

2007-04-09  Alan Mackenzie  <address@hidden>

        Changes to make `narrow-to-defun' and `mark-defun' work properly
        in CC Mode:

        * progmodes/cc-defs.el (c-beginning-of-defun-1):
        * progmodes/cc-cmds.el (c-beginning-of-defun, c-end-of-defun):
        Bind beginning/end-of-defun-function to nil around calls to
        beginning/end-of-defun.

        * progmodes/cc-langs.el (beginning-of-defun-function)
        (end-of-defun-function): New c-lang-setvar's.

        * progmodes/cc-awk.el (c-awk-beginning-of-defun): Add "(or arg
        (setq arg 1))" to enable non-interactive call.

One way to see this is to open xdisp.c, and do C-s method.  The
incremental search takes several seconds.  Previously, it was
instantaneous.

I think it may be too late for this change.  If the problem it is
meant to fix is not serious, maybe this patch should be reverted.