Re: Nonsensical byte compiler warning.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Nonsensical byte compiler warning.
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 00:13:03 +0200

Markus Triska <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> So you are of the opinion that a function that calls any other
>> function from more than one place is a grave problem, and the byte
>> compiler is not supposed to be helpful with grave problems?
>
> No, I think it's already good enough in this case. For example, set
> `byte-optimize-log' to t.

It is good enough, since by setting some variables nobody would know
about one can get a complete log of everything and thus be able to
figure out that the warning points to the wrong place and cause?

> The warning is then preceded by:
>
>   (char-before)       ==>     (char-after (1- (point)))
>   (if (and (= arg 0) (c-syntactic-skip-backward "^}") (eq (char-after
>   ...) 125)) nil) ==> (progn (and (= arg 0) (c-syntactic-skip-backward
>   "^}") (eq (char-after ...) 125)) nil)
>   eq called for effect; deleted
>
> I hope you find that remotely helpful.

So far, I have not been able to find your contributions to this thread
anything apart from bizarre.

I suppose we are wired differently.  I can't see your arguments doing
anything to support your point of view, quite contrary.