Re: 15 seconds to fontify index

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: 15 seconds to fontify index
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 12:33:38 -0400

>>>>> "Miles" == Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

Miles>    $ time emacs -Q -nw --eval '(info "(elisp)Index")' -kill

I tried that a couple of times in a row on my 1GHz P3M laptop.

With a cold cache it took:

real    0m11.614s
user    0m2.568s
sys     0m0.205s

but with a hot cache that drops down to:

real    0m2.794s
user    0m2.542s
sys     0m0.157s

So it seems a huge part of it is io wait.

NB that my info dir is compressed, so that time includes gunzip(1) time.

In doing this test, I discovered that my latest updates did not remove
the old copies of the emacs and elisp info pages.  The latest installs
I have (by way of the Gentoo ebuild) use bzip2(1) rather than gzip(1)
to compress the files.  Removing the old, thus forcing the new, bumps
the time up to just under 10 seconds of user time, or about 3.83 times
as long.

So, perhaps part of the slowdown is that distributors are compressing
the info pages.  Especially if with bzip2(1).

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6