Re: Disabling ATSUI on OS X

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Disabling ATSUI on OS X
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 22:10:09 +0900

Julian Scheid <address@hidden> writes:
> I've attached an image to demonstrate that it delivers a crispness
> that is not matched by its ATSUI counterparts (top: USE_ATSUI=1,
> mac-allow-anti-aliasing=t; center: USE_ATSUI=1,
> mac-allow-anti-aliasing=nil; bottom: USE_ATSUI=0; all using
> "-*-Monaco-*-100-*").

Does atsui not have a setting equivalent to freetype's "favor contrast"
setting (I don't know the official name of this, it's something you get
in the gnome font-settings dialog)?

With freetype that setting yields extremely "crisp" results without
actually turning off antialiasing:  it essentially aligns all
horizontal/vertical lines to pixel boundaries (and tries to make their
width an integer multiple) but uses subtle anti-aliasing for rounded
parts and diagonal lines; it's far superior to just turning off
anti-aliasing altogether in freetype, and is my preferred setting when
using a LCD.

-Miles
--
Suburbia: where they tear out the trees and then name streets after them.