Re: turn off safe-local-variable-values checking

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Re: turn off safe-local-variable-values checking
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:58:07 -0800 (PST)

[Original thread is at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-04/msg00521.html.]

I wrote, a long time ago:

>>     table.el
>>     allout.el
>>     ediff*.el
>>
>> This is useful--I presume these bindings are safe,
>> so we should define predicates for the variables they bind.
>>
>> Would someone like to do that now, and ack?
>
> Interesting: each of those three files required a different approach.  I
> added predicates for time-stamp.el's local variables, putting reasonable
> limits on the integers.  Allout just needed to autoload its
> already-present safe-local declaration.  And ediff was using part of
> edebug which could really be used for evil, so I wrote a check for
> non-evil use and added that to the code for symbol properties.
>
> Patch attached, natch.

Oddly, most but not all of my patch was applied.  The part that wasn't
later became horribly out of date because of conflicting changes, but I've
resolved the conflicts several times and kept it alive, and am
resubmitting just the part that was missed as a diff against current
sources.  See the ChangeLog entry:

        * files.el: Add predicates for time-stamp.el's file-local
        variables (here, since it's never automatically loaded).

Assuming that there's nothing wrong with adding the rest of what was added
then, please install?

Davis

PS - Sadly, I was reminded of these changes by the recent thread
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-02/msg01042.html: there
was an insidious bug in the part of my patch that was applied!

shipping.