Re: --with-gtk as default?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: --with-gtk as default?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 13:28:25 +0100

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Sigh.  So the default Emacs installations for decades to come are
>> going to show off the utterly archaic Athena look,
>
> hgiS.  I happen to like that look (but maybe I look a bit archaic myself).

It does not blend into current desktops at all.  Which is the greatest
weakness of XEmacs' looks IMO (it looks pretty much the same on every
desktop, and pretty much out of kilter everywhere).

So we get well-integrated looks supporting antialiased Unicode menus
under Windows and MacOSX desktops by default, and a bunch of rather
crudely designed retrowidgets (and no "open file" widgets at all IIRC)
with pixelish menu fonts under GNU/Linux and other X11 based desktops.

Such a waste.  It's frustrating to advertise an editor that visually
appears to be stuck in the last millennium.