Re: Text property 'intangible and fontification

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Text property 'intangible and fontification
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 02:05:06 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:
I think I noticed a problem with nxml-mode (not part of Emacs) and
fontification when an overlay has the property 'intangible.

Since `intangible' is known to have many adverse effects, it's important to
describe this overlay: who made it, why, ...

I made it. I removed it.

nxml-mode does its own fontification since it anyway parses the buffer
contents. What should fontification code do when there are some overlays
like this? Or text properties. Should it let bind
inhibit-point-motion-hooks' to t, or? What does other fontification code do
in Emacs?

I strongly recommend to not touch `intangible' even with a ten foot pole.

Yes, it is not very well implemented as you might remember I thought earlier. I was just looking for an advice how to handle it with fontification.