Re: RAW sockets

From: A Soare
Subject: Re: RAW sockets
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:49:08 +0100 (CET)

> There's M-x ping from lisp/net/net-utils.el, I think it works on
> most systems.  This file also provides M-x traceroute, M-x finger,
> M-x whois, etc.

> >> It would be nice if someone wrote a generic ping.el wrapper around
> >> different ping programs on various platforms, passing the proper
> >> set of parameters to make them do the right things...
> >
> > There's M-x ping from lisp/net/net-utils.el, I think it works on
> > most systems.  This file also provides M-x traceroute, M-x finger,
> > M-x whois, etc.
>
> Thanks.  I had forgotten all about those utils.
>
> In any case, my proposal was to create a more lisp-like api for this
> which would allow _code_ to determine whether a given host responds to
> ping.  Such an api should definitely use net-utils as a base.

It is nice to exist a net.el with ping written just in emacs lisp, not to
render the output from an external ping, even it is more difficult. That is
what I thought when I posted.

By the way. Why emacs-paste site render the lisp code in very nice readable
colors, while EmacsWiki, which is the main site to leans ELISP, does not? There
is not a common administrator?

Alin Soare.