Re: Mention mouse-face changes mouse pointer shape

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Mention mouse-face changes mouse pointer shape
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:05:38 +0000

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
The 'mouse-face text property changes the mouse pointer shape to a hand, at least on w32. Should not this be mentioned, for example in

  (info "(elisp) Pointer Shape")
  (info "(elisp) Special Properties")

It seems the change was made immediately in response to the following comment in a discussion about implementing mouse-face in header and mode lines:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-05/msg01268.html

   >/ I've implemented mouse-face on mode-line./

   This looks nice!

   But shouldn't the cursor change to a hand cursor rather than an arrow
   cursor when hoovering over a mouse-face?

I think the change was a mistake, instead we should have arranged the relevant areas to have both mouse-face and pointer text properties. But I don't know how much effort it will be now to go back and change this.