RE: cannot understand Elisp manual node Glyphs

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: cannot understand Elisp manual node Glyphs
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 17:34:08 -0800

>     > What are the purposes for which people want to use it now?
>
>     It works in display-table entries; I'm not aware of any other
>     way to do the same thing.
>
> My question is, for what specific practical purposes do people
> want to use this display-table feature?

Did you not get my mail with the screenshot, URL, and explanation of why I
started this thread? Was that "specific practical purpose" not convincing?

The same use case applies to substituting highlighted display-table entries
to indicate non-breaking spaces, TABs, etc. (though there are alternative
ways to do that).

I asked this question - what's the answer?

>  Can I do the same thing somehow without specifying a face
>  through a glyph code?

If the answer is "no", then isn't that a good reason for the feature?