Re: constant `e'

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: constant `e'
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 00:07:24 +0100

> I could consider renaming it (later) if someone suggests a good new
> name.

I've never seen capital letters in Elisp code.  So wouldn't it be
appropriate to end a convention for "unconventional" Elisp objects and
to finally use an inherent, for my taste, neglected language feature?

e -> E
pi -> Pi

(This is also the traditional form in the Math program Mathematica.)

other approaches not mentioned so far:

pi -> P (Keybinding from Emacs Calc)

e -> ee (borrowed from Mathematica's input form of the complex unit ii
 and  exp[1] as ee)

pi -> pi() (borrowed from MySQL and Excel)
e -> e()

But python uses also the constants e and pi.

The Math program Matlab uses the constant pi and i but not e (exp[1]).

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany