Re: fundamental-mode-hook

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: fundamental-mode-hook
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 09:23:04 -0500

    I thought a fundamental mode hook was a good solution to the problem
    that there is no "new buffer" hook. But a special hook would perhaps be
    better.

Creating a buffer does not call `fundamental-mode', so adding a
fundamental-mode-hook wouldn't do this anyway.  Buffer creation
happens at a rather low level, but it can call Lisp code.
Adding a hook for that makes me worry, because I know that I hesitated
to do so, but I don't remember any specific reason why it was bad,
and it does call a function to help initialize UCS.

I don't want to consider such a change now.