Re: Image mode

From: Slawomir Nowaczyk
Subject: Re: Image mode
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 00:55:40 +0100

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 18:41:07 -0500
Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:

#> Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
#>
#> >     The consensus seems to be that the way to handle the (hypothetical)
#> >     risk of security holes due to image library bugs is to patch the image
#> >     libraries if such bugs are found, NOT to hobble image display in
#> >     programs that use them.
#> >
#> > Can you say where you've seen this concensus affirmed?
#> > Who is it a consensus among?  I want to get some idea of
#> > how much we can trust their judgment.
#>
#> It is an implicit conclusion, drawn from the fact that no other
#> graphical program prompts users before displaying images.

"No other" is an overstatement, I suppose, since my email client does
not display attached images by itself. I have just tested, however, with
Opera mailer and -- to my surprise -- it did just that...

--
 Best wishes,
   Slawomir Nowaczyk

A few weeks of developing and testing can save a whole
afternoon in the library.