Re: bind next-error and previous-error in Occur mode? read-only?

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: bind next-error and previous-error in Occur mode? read-only?
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 03:53:21 +0100

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> I also just noticed `occur-next', bound to `M-n' in *Occur*.
> It's good to have a binding that does this, but wouldn't `C-n'
> be more logical?  IOW, wouldn't it make sense to have `C-n'
> be `occur-next' and have `next-error-follow-minor-mode'
> use `M-n' instead of `C-n'?  Is there a reason to keep `C-n'
> as `next-line'?

Yes.  In fact, there is a very good reason:  That binding
is standard throughout all of Emacs.  I always use `C-n'
to move to the next line, and I would be confused if that
binding was changed in the *Occur* buffer --- even though
the command `occur-next' is similar to `next-line'.

Why do you think `C-n' is more logical than `M-n' here?

To me, it makes sense to rebind `C-n' only when moving by
lines in the usual manner does not itself make any sense.

After all, `next-line' is a pretty useful command.

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>