Re: display-completion-list should not strip text properties

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: display-completion-list should not strip text properties
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 00:07:07 -0700

Richard Stallman wrote:
    The other functions involved in completing (`all-completions',
    `try-completions', etc.) already DTRT in this regard. A `princ'-to-`insert'
    substitution in `display-completion-list' is the only change needed to allow
    faces and other text properties in buffer *Completions*. Users could then
    pass propertized strings to, for example, `completing-read' and have them
    displayed as defined.

Is there a case where this is useful?

I can't remember the exact context, but I once tried to solve a problem
by attaching a non-special text property to completion strings, which
would be used by the caller to map the completed string to another
object.  That can be done other ways, like making the completion strings
keys in an alist or an obarray; but since the completion list was
dynamically generated, it seemed cleaner to me to avoid creating the
additional data structure.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA