Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 50, Issue 7

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 50, Issue 7
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 21:55:04 -0500

    Why does it matter whether it was IBM, Apple or M$ who invented the
    C-z C-x C-c C-v shortcuts (and thus broke compatibility with Emacs)?

someone else said it was unfair to attribute these to Microsoft, since
others actually designed the interface.

    No matter what we think or feel, or whether history is on our side,
    most "modern" applications use these bindings -- including GNOME, KDE
    and Firefox, so today it is Emacs which is "incompatible" with "common
    practice".

That is why it is important to note that Emacs and its command set
came first.