Re: C file recoginzed as image file

From: Chris Moore
Subject: Re: C file recoginzed as image file
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 16:02:38 +0100

Chris Moore <address@hidden> writes:

> so any file beginning with optional white space and then #define is
> treated as an xbm image.

I'm thinking it would be safer to use auto-mode-alist before
magic-mode-alist.  Treating files according to their content rather
than according to their extension is something which has caused a lot
of problems with virus spread on w32 platforms.

I don't want this situation to be possible in Emacs:

I receive a file foo.c in an email, save it to disk and open it in
Emacs, knowing that the .c type is opened in cc-mode which is safe.
To my horror, the file actually contains an evil .jpg file which
causes a buffer overflow in the jpg library; when it's displayed it
infects my machine with a virus.

Emacs shouldn't open me up to that risk when I am simply trying to
view a .c file.