Re: defcustom and the stars.

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: defcustom and the stars.
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 18:39:56 +0100

On 1/4/07, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:

Sorry, I don't understand. The variable with that doc string (beginning "**")
_is_ a user variable. It is intended to be a user variable.

Yes, I know.

You raise, I imagine, a different issue: how to prevent a variable from becoming a user
variable (changeable with `set-variable') if its doc string begins with `*', as in your
defvar: "*Completions* window blah blah.".

No, I'm raising the fact that we have a convention that says: a
variable whose docstring starts with "*" is a user variable. So for
consistency, the docstring (without the asterisk) should *not* start
with an asterisk. Otherwise, you have:

 (defvar my-var nil "**This* is a user variable.")

and some day you hurriedly modify it to:

 (defvar my-var nil "*This* is not a user variable.")

and get an unwanted result. I'm not talking about programming now, but
about docstring conventions.

then I think it is not worth pursuing

Not worth pursuing, how? As a convention, in elisp code, or how exactly?

people can rephrase the text to avoid starting with `*' if they don't want `*'
to indicate a user variable.

Yes, that's what I'm saying, only I'm adding that we should perhaps
explain in the docs: "Please take care the docstring *contents* does
not start with an asterisk."

(In my case, I _do_ want it to indicate a user variable.)

I understood it the first time. In fact, I understood it on your
messages. Pity the reverse is not true. Not your fault, of course.

                   /L/e/k/t/u