the README file

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: the README file
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 23:34:12 -0500

Obviously not hugely important, but normally when I download a package
source, the README file is the first thing I read (being an obedient
sort). The Emacs README could be improved IMO:

Paragraphs 2 and 5 both describe how to report bugs. They could be
merged.

The wording of paragraph 4 seems a little bizarre to me ("bring up",
"loaded the entire subtree").

The paragraph about configure seems superfluous, given that it is
explained more nicely in the first paragraph of INSTALL.

The paragraphs about `configure.in' and `Makefile.in': not something
most people ever need to know, therefore does not really need to go in
README. Move to INSTALL?

The section on VMS: information about a version of Emacs 19 that runs
on VMS can surely be removed now? In fact, can't all the information
about VMS be moved to vms/README?