Re: find-library-name fails if file (with no extension) exists.

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: find-library-name fails if file (with no extension) exists.
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 00:34:12 +0100

On 11/22/06, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

Yes, they are.  As can easily be verified by listing the directory
after creating either file.

Not so. I create MyBook.txt. I "dir mybook.txt". I got the same file.
Just one filename. Don't try to impose your Unix worldview on me!

They certainly _are_ different file names, but they can't refer to
different files.

They certainly are *not*, in a case-insensitive filesystem.

That does not make the names the same, merely changes your search
strategy.

You're overlooking what I said: that *I* don't distinguish between
Mila&Nero and mila&nero (unless writing a message like this one), so
my computer should not try to force me into doing it.

It doesn't.  It just insists that you are consistent.  If you want to
write lowercase, do so.  If you want to capitalize, do so.

I *am* consistent: I consistently refuse to think that Mila&Nero and
mila&nero could meaningfully refer to different entities. Certainly, I
do answer e-mails to me even when they start with "dear juanma".

It is a constant source for trouble in scripts of all sorts.

As Lennart said: it is, with scripts written from the case-sensitive
mindset. That's not fault of the other alternative. I've never had
trouble with capitalization on VMS, OS/2, CP/M, DOS, Windows, Oasis,
THEOS and other case-insensitive systems.

                   /L/e/k/t/u