Re: Switching to Subversion

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: Re: Switching to Subversion
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 10:11:31 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> One big obstacle with git (which he mentions, too) is the
>> user interface.  With a project like Emacs I think its rather
>> essential, that the SCM is easy to use for developers, and most
>> developers are used to CVS.  Mercurial is designed to be very
>> approachable to people knowing CVS.
>
> In my opinion, any SCM system that is not fully supported by a stock
> Emacs 22 on all major operating systems where Emacs runs on is not
> acceptable for managing Emacs 23.

There are some Emacs modes supporting mercurial available: DVC (which
I use) and mercurial.el, which comes with mercurial, for example.  (I
think there were some more, but I wasn't able to find them right now)

I'm absolutely positive that the developers of either would be willing
to sign papers, and as these are self contained modes, I think it
could even be an option to integrated them at this point of the
release process.

But on the other hand: Emacs Developers will be using the development
version anyway, so integrating mercurial support shortly after the
release should be sufficient.

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.