Postscript printing on A4

From: Piet van Oostrum
Subject: Postscript printing on A4
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 23:47:14 +0100

I am using Emacs 22.0.90 (less than a week old) on Mac OS X 10.4.8.

I had problems printing on A4 paper with Postscript Print Buffer
(ps-print-buffer-with-faces). I have ps-paper-type set to a4 and the
resulting Postscript contains:

%%DocumentMedia: A4 595 842 0 () ()
and
%%PageMedia: A4

Nevertheless the printer requests letter size paper and when I force it to
use A4, the top op the text is chopped off.

It seems that CUPS is not honoring the %%DocumentMedia and %%PageMedia
comments. Is this normal? Or is this a macosx specific problem?

For the time being I solved it by the using lpoptions command to make A4
the default, however this would make it impossible to use other formats,
e.g. photo's I presume.

Is the same problem appearing on other systems that use CUPS?
--
Piet van Oostrum <address@hidden>
Private email: address@hidden