Re: Mac - why no proxy badge for dired mode?

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Mac - why no proxy badge for dired mode?
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 09:58:01 +0900

> I suspect the case where dired-directory is a wildcard spec or a
> list will cause problems.  Would default-directory be a good
> fallback for mac_update_proxy_icon to use, when buffer-file-name is
> nil?

I also thought of introducing a buffer-local variable that is 1) a
flag to determine whether to fallback on default-directory (I don't
think that "always fallback" is the right thing).  But this can easily
be generalized to 2) a symbol to fallback on, or 3) a hook to call
when the file name for the proxy icon is needed. (Note that a single
dired buffer can contain multiple directories.)  Among them, 3) should
be after-the-release issue definitely, and if 1) or 2) is implemented
now, it will become obsolete.

I'd rather keep the principle simple for now, i.e.,

  * The proxy icon represents the value of buffer-file-name.
  * The dot in the close button and draggability of the proxy icon
    (they cannot be set differently) represents the buffer
    modification flag.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden