Re: Tramp default method

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp default method
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 23:45:04 +0100

> For reading the file, perhaps the openssh developers could
> perhaps provide a mode that does things one way or the other
> depending on the file size.  But that is not something we can do now.

Tramp's scp method is always escorted by an ordinary ssh connection in
order to gather file information. That is sufficient for today. When
Andreas' suggestion is added (use of ControlMaster), scp might be even
more efficient.

An extension of ssh is nothing I expect for next time. What could be
helpful is an own small server process on the remote side (via an ssh
connection), which provides the needed file information directly to
Tramp. The FISH server is such an approach, I'm playing with these
days. But I'm still not happy with performance.

> For the short term, I think we should use scp as the default.
> To eliminate a short delay for small files is not worth a painful
> slowdown for large files.

OK, I'll change the default.

Best regards, Michael.