Re: filling inside minibuffer behaves poorly

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: filling inside minibuffer behaves poorly
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 01:37:01 -0500

    I understand your concern and I'm sure I'm in a pretty small minority with
    this problem. But the more I think about it I can't think of any situation
    where you wouldn't want this behaviour. After all minibuffer prompts are for
    inputing text that's going _somewhere_ and the prompt isn't going to be
going
    with it.

That seems like a good argument, except for one thing: in most cases
the text isn't going anywhere that you'd care about filling, so the
main purpose of filling would be to make it look nice in the
minibuffer.  And it looks nicer in the minibuffer the old way.

The appearance of the text in the minibuffer is clearly secondary to
its appearance in real use.  So if both issues arose equally often,
I'd say that the latter wins.  But what if the latter issue only
arises in a few commands, and the former can arise for all commands?
Maybe then the existing code is better.

I am not sure how to judge this, and I wonder what others think.