How to specify font to Emacs?

From: Otto Maddox
Subject: How to specify font to Emacs?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:08:15 +0000

I use Emacs 22.0.90, compiled to use GTK+ on GNU/Linux, and running on
GNOME.  The font in GNOME Terminal (Monospace 10) looks very nice, and
I want to use it for the default face.  Problem is that Emacs only
understands XLFDs, and I don't know how to specify Monospace 10.  Can
somebody please tell me if, and how, this is possible?

By the way, has the possibility of putting a proper font chooser in
Emacs ever been discussed?  Doing it through Customize is horrible.
--
  Otto Maddox
  address@hidden