Re: Building Emacs-cvs on Cygwin

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Building Emacs-cvs on Cygwin
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 10:41:12 +0200

> Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:46:01 +0200 (MET DST)
> From: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>
> cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> I have bootstrapped Emacs-CVS on Cygwin with GCC-4.0.3.
>
> Then I started Emacs at 13:20 and it is still running (17:19) without
> crashing.

Thanks for the testing.

> It would be desirable that others build Emacs-CVS on Cygwin with a GCC-4
> branch to confirm the above. It seems that GCC-3.4.4-2 (exp) on Cygwin is
> broken with the '-g' option.
>
> Regarding GCC-4.0.3, it does not belongs to Cygwin yet, I built it myself
> (only the core, C language) because it needs to build G95.

But you also said in an earlier message that GCC 3.4.4-1 didn't have
the -g bug.  Could you please try to build with that version?  If
version 3.4.4-2 is the only one to avoid, I'd like to say that
explicitly in etc/PROBLEMS, because building GCC is something most
Cygwin users will probably not wish to do.

> Regarding the observations of Jason, there are a few *.elc file that some
> editor (Crimson) reports as in DOS format (Emacs shows -=:--).
>
> I have examined a few of these *.elc files and the only differences
> between those produced on GNU/Linux (thanks, RMS, to have remembered me
> this) and those on Windows-Cygwin are the compiling date and the name of
> machines, desktop-angelo on GNU/Linux, homepc on Win-Cygwin.

Sounds like these are false hits, and that the problem mentioned by
Jason doesn't exist.