Re: Quote file name args to start-process-shell-command?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Quote file name args to start-process-shell-command?
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:49:39 +0200

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Spaces are neither a wildcard nor a redirection.
>
> The function executes a shell command.  Shell commands can include
> many kinds of meta characters, including wildcards and redirections.

Spaces are neither a wildcard nor a redirection.

>> Straw man.  This never was about "metacharacter handling" but
>> rather about argument processing.
>
> The function is about shell commands.  That includes any kind of
> meta characters.  This works as documented.

I disagree.  If I call something like

(start-process-shell-command "ls" "*scratch*" "ls"
 "\"Program" "Files\"")

then "\"Program" and "Files\"" are not become separate arguments to
the shell.  Rather there is one argument "Program Files".

The command should either make some attempt to actually pass separate
arguments (and that means quoting of word separating entities), or
just accept a single string as an argument.

Everything else is inconsistent.

Again: this does not at all have anything to do with wildcards and
redirections, so I fail to see why you bring them up time and again.