Re: sourcing environment

From: Tak Ota
Subject: Re: sourcing environment
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 12:15:57 -0700 (PDT)

Wed, 11 Oct 2006 22:00:12 +0300: Giorgos Keramidas <address@hidden> wrote:

> > M-x kill-emacs
> > $ source env-xxx.sh
> > $ emacs
>
> It looks like you would have to spawn a subshell, save its environment
> somewhere, source the script, save the new environment, diff the two
> environments and 'translate' the diff output to appropriate
>
>     (setenv "FOO" "bar")
>
> or
>
>     (setenv "FOO" nil)
>
> calls :(

That is pretty much what I do with the following function.  My
question is if this equivalent feature is already available in any
form in the current emacs?

-Tak

;;
;; Shell Script Sourcing
;;
(defun source (script &optional shell keep-current-directory)
  "Source the specified shell script.
Source the shell SCRIPT and import the environment into this
emacs.  The optional SHELL specifies the shell other than the
default `shell-file-name'.  When KEEP-CURRENT-DIRECTORY is nil,
which is the default, the current directory is temporarily
changed to the directory where the script resides while sourcing
the script."
  (interactive "fscript file: ")
  (if (null shell)
      (setq shell shell-file-name))
  (with-temp-buffer
    (unless keep-current-directory
      (setq default-directory (file-name-directory script)))
    (call-process shell nil t nil "-c" (concat "source " script "; printenv"))
    (while (re-search-backward "^\\([^=]+\\)=\\(.*\\)$" nil t)
      (setenv (match-string 1) (match-string 2)))))