Re: Patch for remote files in dnd.el

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Patch for remote files in dnd.el
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 12:48:59 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:
I think we should generally have this transform the stuff properly,
independent of platform.
The problem is defining what "properly" means for remote file: urls. On Windows, the system calls handle remote files using UNC paths, generally via the smb protocol, but on GNU and Unix systems, there are a number of possible protocols (smb, nfs, afs, ftp...) which all require external utilities, and it is not clear which is the right choice. I imagine this is why Nautilus and Konqueror avoid using remote file: urls, and instead use protocol specific urls for remote files.

Can't we just generally use the same mechanism as for `browse-url' for
files dropped into Emacs?
Browse URL just launches a WWW browser to deal with URLs (except for a few specific types like mailto: which are handled internally in Emacs). I don't think the user expects a file to be opened in their WWW browser when the drag it onto Emacs.