Re: need option so line-move-to-column ignores fields, plus patch

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: need option so line-move-to-column ignores fields, plus patch
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 04:49:18 -0400

    the one i've been suggesting - retention of the column on line-move
    regardless of fields.

I see.

Since that would definitely be bad for the minibuffer, that could only
be an option.  You'd like to make this an option, but I think that
approach has a serious drawback -- namely, presenting a choice between
two alternatives, each of which is flawed for some cases.

Meanwhile, the current code is broken for the minibuffer too.
We need to fix it.  I am hoping that, once it is fixed right for
the minibuffer, it will be ok for allout as well -- thus eliminating
the need for an ugly option.

    further, allout already offers retention of the cursor on the item
    bullet position when doing hot-spot navigation

I don't know what "hot-spot navigation" means, so you've lost me
completely.