Re: change cursor type when idle

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: change cursor type when idle
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 00:27:09 +0300

> I actually also use code that (optionally) changes the cursor type,
> depending on whether the mode is overwrite (bar) or read-only (box), and
> changes the cursor color, depending on whether or not you are using an input
> method (thx to a suggestion from Juri). I mention this only to point out
> that users might also change the cursor type or color independently of the
> idle/active state of Emacs, so we don't want to trample on such
> functionality.

I like your proposed feature, but I have one doubt.  Usually I use the
bar cursor, and sometimes it is hard to locate it in dense text areas.
Changing its type to a box cursor (and/or its color) would help,
but any delay before changing it (e.g. 2 sec) seems arbitrary.
I need to make the cursor more visible not after some delay, but
only when I need to locate it.  I usually use cursor movement keys
to move the cursor foreward-backward to find its location, but
this is not convenient.

> (And I take advantage of this opportunity to again support Juri's
> suggestion to add command `set-cursor-type' to Emacs.)

I guess `set-cursor-type' is not yet in Emacs, because there are more
than one way to change the cursor type (via the `default-cursor-type'
and `cursor-type' variables, and via the frame parameter), so it's
not clear which one to use in the implementation.  Is it so?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/