RE: address@hidden: customizing hl-line-face should reset global-hl-line

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: address@hidden: customizing hl-line-face should reset global-hl-line-overlay to nil]
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:15:50 -0700

    > However, please see my other email about using a face instead
    > of a user option (variable). Wouldn't that also take care of this
    > problem? That is, if there is no face variable, and users change
    > the face itself, then that would be immediately reflected in the
    > overlay, no?

    It would.  But it would break other people's customizations as well.

Do you really think that would affect a lot of people negatively? I don't. I
think that most users of hl-line (both of them ;-)) will appreciate having a
face to customize.

    From: Richard Stallman, Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 2:52 AM
    Subject: Re: hl-line-face should be a face, not an option

        It would be better to define a face `hl-line' than to have option
        `hl-line-face', whose value must be an existing face.

    I agree.  Would someone please do that, and then ack?

I apologize for sending two different bug reports, since this one addresses
both problems - sorry you went to the trouble of trying to fix only the
other one. This is the better way to go, IMO.