Re: Do we need a major mode for verilog?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Do we need a major mode for verilog?
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:12:40 -0400

> I think there's no overwhelming strength/weakness for vlog-mode to
> verilog-mode.  Highlighting, code indentation, code alignment,
> sensitive lists generation...  It's easy to switch from verilog-mode
> to vlog-mode.  Of cource, vlog-mode has some unique features that
> verilog-mode does not have.

> In fact, I used to hack a lot on verilog-mode.el but the author of
> verilog-mode tries to control the source and is not very friendly to
> other contributors (its official website is http://www.verilog.com).
> Of cource, that's only my personal impression, maybe very biased.  But
> that's the original motivation for vlog-mode: a more open and public
> project of and for the Emacs-Verilog community, just like vhdl-mode is
> doing now.

Please add a text like the above to your package.  If you can make it more
precise (e.g. describing what details might be different, or also
describing the difference in philosophy), better.  Being biased is
unavoidable, so don't try to avoid it.  But do try to avoid denigrating the
other package's author (even if you think he deserves it).

If you're willing/able to sign the legal paperwork and he's not, then
there's no question that your package is immensely superior from our point
of view ;-)

        Stefan