Re: gnus makes emacs lose response

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: gnus makes emacs lose response
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:00:43 +0200

>     I see similar problems connection to one of the news servers at my ISP.
>     I just interrupt Gnus, and make anoter refresh -- I guess Gnus could
>     just as well do this automatically if there is no response from the
>     server it used last time.
>
> I don't entirely understand that proposal.  Does it aim to work around
> the failure of C-g?  Does it aim to DTRT without need to type C-g?
> If openssl could resume its connection when you reconnect the phone line,
> would that make this proposal unnecessary?  Would that make this proposal
> undesirable or incorrect?

The proposal is simply that Gnus should detect a stale connection to
an NNTP server -- if the server doesn't respond in a timely manner, it
should drop the connection and open a new one.

As it is now, when I ask Gnus to look for new news, it sometimes
"hang" for a long time waiting for the news server to respond -- since
I'm impatient, I interrupt this with C-g (it works!) which seems to
cause Gnus to close the connection. Then I simply repeat the "get new
news" command manually.  I think Gnus could do this automatically for me!