Re: Minimized Emacs and Gnome logout

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Minimized Emacs and Gnome logout
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 16:51:04 -0400

"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

> Chong Yidong skrev:
>> 1. Run Emacs in Gnome
>> 2. Iconify (minimize) the Emacs window,
>>      (e.g. by clicking on its taskbar entry)
>> 3. Gnome menu -> Quit -> Log Out
>> 4. Nothing happens.
>> 5. Now de-iconify Emacs (e.g. by clicking on its taskbar entry).
>> 6. Gnome logs out.
>>
>> `kill' and `kill -9' seem to work fine on the iconified Emacs, so is
>> there some other signal that the Gnome logout sends that we are not
>> responding properly to?
>>
>> FWIW, I'm using the version of Gnome that comes with Ubuntu Dapper.
>> This behavior has been present for several months, but I haven't been
>> able to identify the problem.
>
> I can not reproduce this on Ubuntu Dapper.  But sometimes the session
> manager hangs, and just moving the mouse will continue the logout.  Have
> you tried that (i.e. move the mouse instead of deiconify Emacs)?  Can
> you try KDE and see if you have the same problem?
>
> What are your settings for sessions in Gnome, i.e. save at logout, ask
> at logout and so on?

I investigated some more, and found that this is related to me turning
off the "use Nautilus to draw the desktop" feature in gconf-editor ->
apps -> nautilus -> preferences -> show desktop.  With Nautilus turned
on, logging out works.

Chances are, this is a Gnome bug (though as far as I know, it only
affects Emacs; an iconified xterm logs out fine).