Re: display-mm-width return value off on Windows

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: display-mm-width return value off on Windows
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:37:49 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * Ralf Angeli (2006-08-05) writes:
>
>> * Ralf Angeli (2006-07-06) writes:
>>
>>> On Windows the return values of `display-mm-width' and
>>> `display-mm-height' don't really reflect the screen width and height
>>> in millimeters.
>>
>> Meanwhile we got another bug report on the AUCTeX list related to this
>> issue.
>>
>> I provided a patch for w32fns.c [...]
>
> [...]
>> Could somebody please apply at least one of them or tell me what to
>> change in order for them to get accepted?  I am planning to upload a
>> new precompiled version of Emacs for Windows to alpha.gnu.org once
>> this is settled.
>
> Okay, it's been two weeks and nobody has reacted to the last
> message.  What do I have to do to get a reaction?  Does using a
> familiar phrase help?  Something like "Would someone please DTRT and
> ack?"

The person checking a change in has some sort of responsibility not to
goof up which means he would want to know as well as the patch
contributor whether this thing works.  If things go wrong, he will
need to fix it.

You have signed papers for Emacs, you already have an account at
Savannah and working actively with CVS, you know how to discuss
changes on the list.  I think it would be easiest for all involved
parties if you just got yourself CVS write access and checked changes
like that in yourself.

So "would someone please DTRT and ack" would in my book mean something
like Eli or Kim putting you on the developer list and get this over.

I have not followed the discussion about the Windows screen dimensions
and am completely out of my technical depth here, but I would want it
fixed for the sake of AUCTeX.

I'd feel uncomfortable checking it in myself, but I don't feel
uncomfortable recommending you as a developer, if that is ok with you.
It really saves trouble for all involved parties in the long run.