Re: Prepend an indicator to the minibuffer prompt to show you canuse com

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Prepend an indicator to the minibuffer prompt to show you canuse completion
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:36:11 -0600

Drew Adams wrote:
    first, i would prefer to use a new indicator in the fringe, when the
    fringe is present - seems like this would be a nice use of that real
    estate, more suitable than precious minibuffer content space.  the new
    cue would display with the fringe top-of-buffer signal, when people
    use that, but that's generally redundant in the minibuffer, since it
    always has a prompt on the first line, and usually contains one or
    just a few lines.

I and, I think, many others, turn fringe off. Hate it; don't need it.

I think one or two characters of minibuffer space is not too much to
sacrifice for this feature, and it would be optional, in any case.

My preference is the same as Ken's, for a fringe indicator.  But if this
feature is only available by enlarging the minibuffer prompt, I wouldn't
use it. How about tweaking the face used to display the prompt, e.g. its foreground color or font weight?

--
Kevin