Re: sit-for and idle timers

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: sit-for and idle timers
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:27:23 -0400

    You mean something like this?

      /* Bind inhibit-quit to t so that C-g gets read in
         rather than quitting back to the minibuffer.  */
      int count  = SPECPDL_INDEX ();
      specbind (Qinhibit_quit, Qt);

      timer_start_idle ();
      sit_for (Vminibuffer_message_timeout, 0, 2);
      timer_stop_idle ();

Yes, except does it need timer_stop_idle?
It is going to read input straightaway after.

    I don't really see why it's important (it's currently just a two
    second pause in which idle timers don't run), and I don't know the
    code well enough to know if it will break anything horribly.

It isn't tremendously important, but it seems correct for Emacs'
idleness to begin when the command finishes.

If you see a risk, I don't insist on doing this now.
How about if you install it in the unicode-2 branch?

to be idle as soon as