RE: definition lines in Info - 1) link, 2) highlight

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: definition lines in Info - 1) link, 2) highlight
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 10:33:23 -0700

    Sorry, I don't understand what to install.  Drew didn't show any code,
    nor explained in detail what the code should do and how.  The only
    thing I see is a regexp.  Is there already a variable that should be
    set to that regexp?  If so, please tell which variable is that.

I can point you to my code, but Richard might not like that. Here is an
abstract description:

The code searches an Info node for one-line descriptions (specs) of
functions, macros, variables etc., and fontifies these descriptions. An
example description is "Function: foo INTEGER1 &optional INTEGER2". The idea
is to make such lines stand out a bit, and to distinguish the different
types (function, command, etc.).

One way to do it:

1. Define a face for each of the description types: Function, Special Form,
etc. I have 7 such faces, so a reader can easily pick out, say, a Command or
Variable from a list of Functions.

2. Define a face for the rest of each description line, to be used for all
description types. That is, a description such as "Function: foo INTEGER1
&optional INTEGER2" will have one face applied to "Function:" and another
face applied to " foo INTEGER1 &optional INTEGER2". I use the same
background for all 8 faces.

3. Define a function that searches a node for the regexp and fontifies (via
put-text-property) accordingly, using the faces.

4. Call #3 in Info-fontify-node. For Emacs 22, I do that just before the
titles are fontified.

Let me know if you need more detail.