Re: address@hidden: [patch] url-hexify-string does not follow W3C spec]

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: address@hidden: [patch] url-hexify-string does not follow W3C spec]
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 18:07:31 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Encoding a unibyte string doesn't make any sense (IMHO it should
>>> signal an error, and indeed in my locally hacked Emacs it does ;-).
>
>> It sounds to me like this would be a sensible setting, and we should
>> have it before entering pretest: we would like to catch the cases
>> where this happens.
>
> IIRC it breaks Gnus and fixing it requires non-trivial changes.

But it sounds like absent of those changes it would be doubtful that
Gnus actually does the correct thing.  It is probably something which
muddles through if there is enough accidental overlap between latin1,
MULE encoding and other systems.

> But maybe I'm confusing it with some other local change of mine
> (e.g. maybe the problem is only that Gnus decodes multibyte text,
> but not that it encodes unibyte strings).  Try it.

Probably easy to do using advice.  But I am at the moment busy
finishing something else.