Re: Intlfonts

From: Per Starbäck
Subject: Re: Intlfonts
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:49:57 +0200

mule.texi:

graphical display, you need to have a suitable font.  If some of the
characters appear as empty boxes, you should install the GNU Intlfonts
package, which includes fonts for most supported address@hidden
you run Emacs on X, you need to inform the X server about the location
of the newly installed fonts with the following commands:

me:
With emacs 21.4 I get no empty boxes after "C-h h" with Intlfonts
installed, but with the current (as of a couple of days ago) cvs emacs
I get a lot of those, for example for Georgian (not present in 21.4)
and Hindi (OK in 21.4!).

Eli:
Please go to these characters and type "C-u C-x =".  Then look at the
character set that the CVS Emacs uses for those characters.  My
crystal ball says that in the CVS version these characters were
translated into Unicode, and you don't have a Unicode font installed
that covers these characters.

Yes. they are mule-unicode-* characters. My question is still
primarily if there is anything more that should be written in the
documentation about how to avoid those empty boxes, now that intlfonts
isn't enough anymore. I think many users might wonder about this. (I'm
currently using a Fedora Core 4 system with every font package
installed + Intlfonts, which they unfortunately don't include.)